Saturday, May 19, 2012

Thomas Friedman, "Do You Want the Good News First?": Empowerment of the Individual

Writing from the West Coast, Thomas Friedman describes, in his latest New York Times op-ed "Do You Want the Good News First?" (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/20/opinion/sunday/friedman-do-you-want-the-good-news-first.html), his exhilaration upon encountering the innovation emerging from hi-tech firms in Seattle and Silicon Valley. Friedman declares:

"Never have individuals been more empowered, and we’re still just at the start of this trend."

I agree with Friedman. By switching on my laptop, I am instantly able to tap into a horde of information and share my ideas with persons across the world upon whom I have never set eyes.

Also, I recall a scene from my childhood: At a time when color television was in its infancy and the AT&T pavilion of the 1964 New York World's Fair highlighted the time savings of push-button phones, I remember how my grandfather expressed his regret that he would not be around to see America's technological advances in another 50 years. I am certain he would not be disappointed.

Friedman also cautions:

"What we must preserve is that magic combination of cutting-edge higher education, government-funded research and immigration of high-I.Q. risk-takers. They are, in combination, America’s golden goose, laying all these eggs in Seattle and Silicon Valley.

. . . .

This is not a call to ignore the hard budget choices we have to make. It’s a call to make sure that we give education, immigration and research their proper place in the discussion."

Again, remarkably we are in agreement. Will wonders never cease!

No comments:

Post a Comment