Saturday, March 31, 2012

Gail Collins, "Time to Elect the Worst Idea": Dog Poop on the Brain

Okay, I confess: I actually skimmed a bit of Gail ("Dog Poop on the Brain") Collins latest New York Times op-ed, "Time to Elect the Worst Idea" (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/31/opinion/collins-time-to-elect-the-worst-idea.html?_r=1&hp). Needless to say, Collins, who never has anything better to say, didn't disappoint, and she again began this opinion piece with her lame running joke:

"Our topic today is picking the worst new trend of the political season.

Not including putting the dog on the car roof."

To her credit, Collins actually acknowledges that Obama has failed "to bring us all together in a postpartisan Washington."

But what is indeed the "worst new trend of the political season"? Actually, it involves Obama's ongoing attempts to appease enemies while beating up on America's longstanding allies, but given that November is approaching, doing it in surreptitious fashion. There is no mention whatsoever in the Collin's opinion piece of Obama's open microphone oversight while chatting with Russia's Medvedev, which this time, unlike his open mike faux pas involving Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu, is not going to go away.

How times have changed. Forty years ago, Obama would have been impeached for this ignoble conduct, characterized by Charles Krauthammer of the Washington Post as "enough to chill friends and allies, democrats and dissidents, all over the world" (see: http://www.washingtonpost.com/the-flexibility-doctrine/2012/03/29/gIQA9ZMtjS_story.html).

7 comments:

  1. I don't know ... To me this is an impeachable behavior, but I, unlike the person in question, am not a constitutional lawyer.
    This issue can't go away. His behavior is treacherous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treacherous? REALLY? Please, my friend, read a bit of history.
    You may be a traitor, as well ;-)
    Chuckie Krauthammer is in a very small Beltway loop--can't see forest NOR trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose you are referring to the phrase: "Can't see the forest FOR the trees." Moreover, your use of "nor" is grammatically incorrect.

    I read almost exclusively history. Which history would you have me read?

    Personally, I do not regard Obama as a "traitor." Rather, I perceive him as dangerously naive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we know from .... history (of course) that often the naive end up being disloyal.
    OK, I can accept the description "dangerously naive."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dangerous owing to his arrogance . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. I actually would like to cancel my conciliatory comment and return to my true belief - we're dealing with an exceptional opportunist and cynical charlatan. Naive people don't reach his level of success - they are eliminated pretty early.

    ReplyDelete