Friday, October 16, 2009

Blacklisted by The New York Times and Unable to Respond to Roger Cohen

The New York Times today published an op-ed, "An Ordinary Israel", by Roger Cohen, in which he concludes:

"The Middle East has changed. So must Israel. 'Never again' is a necessary but altogether inadequate way of dealing with the modern world."

The New York Times is no longer accepting my online comments; however, I did send the following e-mail to a Times editor:

Dear ____________,

I see that Roger Cohen, writing from NY (I don't remember when he was last in Israel), has written an op-ed about Israel. Peculiar how, when Cohen opines about Iran, France, Germany or Turkey, he writes from that country, but that's not the case with Israel.

I would submit an online comment in response, but as you might know, following the rejection of a recent comment that I submitted, which, inter alia, highlighted Cohen's failure to write about the persecution of Iran's Baha'is, all of my comments have been "rejected" by The Times. I am no longer being "censored" by The Times; it would appear that I am now being "blacklisted", i.e. anything bearing my URL is automatically trashed no matter how innocuous.

I don't want to trouble you any further: this is not my newspaper, and I understand that there are those at The Times who were annoyed by my requests

- to deal with the rabid anti-Semitism that found its way into The Times' online comments,
- to examine issues of journalistic ethics concerning Cohen's "What Iran's Jews Say",
- to study the implications of the title of Cohen's "Obama in Netanyahu's Web",
- to report the persecution of Iran's Baha'is,
- to consider how a less than veiled threat to a former U.S. vice president contained in an online comment was permitted by a Times "moderator".

The promise of the Public Editor's Office to report back to me concerning issues of journalistic ethics vis-à-vis Cohen's "What Iran's Jews Say" was not honored. In addition, Public Editor Clark Hoyt in an e-mail to me dismissed the issue of anti-Semitic online comments by noting that ultimately, following my correspondence with you (Hoyt had not acted on the protests that I addressed to him), certain comments had been removed months after their publication.

Sure I've been a pest. But would you have preferred that I not alert you, for example, to the rabid anti-Semitism in New York Times online comments or the threat to the former vice president?

Cohen's op-ed of today's date is offensive. Why? The situation in Israel is indeed "exceptional". Let's ignore the potential Iranian nuclear threat and just look to Lebanon: Notwithstanding the UN resolution banning the rearmament of Hezbollah, this organization has been provided by Iran and Syria over the past three years with 40,000 short, medium and long-range missiles, all aimed at Israel. Will Iran ultimately give instructions to its Lebanese surrogate to pull the trigger? You know the answer.

Best,
Jeffrey

2 comments:

  1. I found Cohen's tone offensive the most. He dares to tell Israel what it should or should not do. He derides Israel from his safe position, shielded by NYTimes from proper answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The New York Times appears happy to investigate and report improprieties except when they pertain to themselves.

    ReplyDelete